Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Hip" Hip Hooray for the YMCA - "Heavenly Hip Openers"

Late summer of last year, an email went out within the YMCA instructor/trainer community entitled "Calling All Presenters".  Our Association Group Fitness Director, Leah Steinberg, was looking for instructors who were interested in training to "train the trainers" or teachers who would "teach the teachers".  I sat on this email for weeks....wondering if God was calling me to this?  If there is one thing I have determined is that I am a teacher....it's not just the exercise that I love but the teaching.  My move to Austin taught that, as much as anything else.  I could run, take classes, workout all day long but I wasn't content.  I needed to teach.  You know the whole "don't know what you got til it's gone"....was that the 80's band Poison?  Anyway....off track a bit.

I have studied Yoga for the past 4 years like a mad woman and learned ssssoooo much.  Would it/could it be possible that God wanted me to interview / audition for this team?  Oh, it sounded so exciting.....I has dabbled in workshops in Austin at Lifetime Fitness and loved it.  Since moving back to Franklin, I just haven't been able to really get them off the ground.  People showed interest but then didn't really attend....didn't want to put the time in, etc.  Or maybe my content stunk?  In comes Satan saying, "you aren't good enough to do this! You aren't polished enough?  You're Sanskrit is redneck!  Your smile is crooked! Who do you think you are?" I doubted.....believe me I wrestled God on this one but I eventually went for it.  Truth is, I am not good enough....nothing in "me" is good enough BUT Christ in me is.  If this is what he has for me to do....he'll do it through me. (1 Thes. 5:24)  So, I put my best hip openers together in an outline format and in a flow and drove out to the Bellevue Y to interview.  Two months later, I joined the 2011 YMCA Presenter Team.  Yikes - that sounds too official! 

What does this mean?  Well, the YMCA offers a monthly training for area instructors and trainers to attend to receive continuing education.  This means IF you are Yoga Certified and registered with Yoga Alliance my workshops will give you 3 CECs or in yoga alliance terms 3 contact hours.  The cost is only $30 for the 3 hour course  (very affordable for CECs!).

What does this mean if your NOT a Yoga teacher?  You can come benefit from an affordable workshop being offered at your local Y.  Get a deep, intensive Hip Opening class, learn tons of hip specific poses, network with other Yogis, etc.

The first workshop will be hosted by the Cool Springs YMCA on Seaboard Lane on Saturday, February 19th from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.  To register go to www.ymcalearning.org.  Payment is collected the day of the event.  

Tell your friends and neighbors.  This workshop is for anyone who has tight hips, suffers from Sciatica or Piriformis Syndrome, runs, cycles, or just the opposite.....sits all day.  Hip Opening is some serious relief that one HAS to experience.   So, Share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment